How Can I Have A Septic Tank Permit? (TOP 5 Tips)

How do I apply for a septic permit?

  • Read and fully complete the Onsite Wastewater System Application and submit it to your local Environmental Affairs Office.
  • Your application will be reviewed to be sure that all necessary paperwork is included.
  • The inspector will visit your building site to evaluate its suitability for a septic tank.

Does a septic tank need a permit?

Most small sewage treatment systems and septic tanks will be eligible for an exemption from Permit, but this does depend upon various factors (for example, if your property is close to a nature conservation area the Environment Agency may require that you obtain a permit) details of which can be obtained from the

Can a homeowner install their own septic system in Texas?

It is legal under Texas law to install your own septic tank. However, certain systems cannot be sold to property owners individually and must be sold to factory representatives. Exceptions to this rule are licensed electricians and the person who delivers the tank or septic system to the installation site.

How do I get a perk test in Tennessee?

The process is fairly simple in most counties. You fill out a form and provide the perk test results. You also need your property plat with a general idea of where the home will sit. For more information on requirements and fees visit the State of Tennessee Dept of the Environment and Conservation.

How long does it take to get a discharge permit?

Decisions about your permit You will normally get a decision on your application within 4 months. The Environment Agency will tell you if your application will take longer.

Are septic tanks still legal?

Septic Tanks Explained… Septic tanks cannot discharge to surface water drains, rivers, canals, ditches, streams or any other type of waterway. you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

Is it legal to sell a house with a septic tank?

If you’re selling a property with a septic tank, then you must be transparent with buyers about the fact the property uses a one and provide a detailed specification of the system. In fact, You are required by law to inform a buyer in writing about the presence of a septic tank.

How do I get a septic permit in Texas?

How do I obtain a permit? Applications and planning materials must be submitted to the permitting authority. To find your permitting authority, search by the county the OSSF is to be located. The TCEQ regional office will be the permitting authority in locations where a local jurisdiction has not been authorized.

Can you have a septic tank without a leach field?

The waste from most septic tanks flows to a soakaway system or a drainage field. If your septic tank doesn’t have a drainage field or soakaway system, the waste water will instead flow through a sealed pipe and empty straight into a ditch or a local water course.

How much land is needed for a septic system in Texas?

Yes, Texas State Law requires a ½-acre lot with a public water supply connection as a minimum. ANRA can issue a variance to this rule if all setbacks on the septic system design have been met. Requirements may vary by county.

How do I get a septic tank license in Tennessee?

Contractors of septic systems require a license which is issued by the Commissioner of the Department of Environment and Conservation. In addition, to obtain the license, the contractor must achieve a pass mark of at least 70% on a written or oral test issued by the Department.

How do I get a septic license in Tennessee?

Applicants must score seventy (70) percent correct or above to be granted a permit. Applicants must satisfactorily install a conventional/alternative subsurface sewage disposal system under the supervision of a person designated by the Department. Permits expire on December 31 each year and must be renewed.

What are the general binding rules for septic tanks?

The general binding rules stipulate that where properties with septic tanks that discharge directly to surface water are sold, responsibility for the replacement or upgrade of the existing treatment system should be addressed between the buyer and seller as a condition of sale.

Who needs a discharge Licence?

A discharge licence is required where a trade effluent is discharged to either a public sewer, surface water or groundwater.

What is a environmental permit?

When either the Environment Agency or a local authority gives someone an environmental permit, they are allowing that person to carry on an activity with certain conditions. Permits can cover water and air pollution, radioactive contamination and other environmental hazards.

Septic System Construction Permit

If an individual or a property owner want to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system constructed on their land or if they need to repair an existing malfunctioning system, they must get a Septic System Construction Permit from the City of San Diego. Septic System Assistance Division County Map (Division Septic System Assistance County Map)

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicant’s information can be submitted using the web portal*, and it includes the following:

  • Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any). Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned roadway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this document. For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary), and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.

Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any); Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned driveway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this package.

For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary) and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.

Helpful Lists:

  • The Division of Water Resources is a division of the Department of Water Resources. CONSULTANTS APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
  • INACTIVE INSTALLERS- This list, grouped by county, covers those persons who have valid permits to construct, install, modify, or repair a septic system. It should be noted that installation permits are valid across the state, not only in the counties indicated. A separate permission may be required in contract counties such as Blount and Davidson counties as well as Hamilton and Jefferson counties as well as Knox and Madison counties as well as Shelby and Williamson counties. Individuals possessing valid licenses to remove (pump) household septage from septic tanks, holding tanks, portable toilets, or other similar sewage treatment or disposal facilities are listed on this page as “Active Pumpers.”

How Will My Application Be Processed?

Applicants should submit their completed application forms, along with the required application costs, to the Division of Water Resources at the relevant Environmental Field Office. The application is subjected to a thorough examination, and the applicant is notified when the examination is completed. The review procedure typically takes ten days, and it must be completed within 45 days of the day the application was submitted, unless an extension has been granted.

What Fees Are Required?

New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Permit $400 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$100 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Construction Inspection $100
New Alternative SSDS Permit $500 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$150 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
Alternative SSDS Construction Inspection $200
Experimental SSDS Permit $500
Repair Permit No permit fee
Repair Construction Inspection $100

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The applicant has the authority to carry out the activities that were granted in the permission application. They are responsible for notifying the Department of any changes to the information in the application. The applicant is responsible for complying with any state legislation and regulations that may be applicable. A system’s installation must be reported to the Division by the applicant or installer of the SSDS so that it may be examined and certified as compliant. Applicants who have had their permits rejected, suspended, or cancelled have the opportunity to file an appeal with the appropriate authority.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

During each SSDS installation, the Division inspects the system to confirm that it was installed in line with the permit conditions and regulatory requirements. In the event that an applicant fails to comply with state legislation or departmental rules, the Division has the authority to revoke, suspend, or refuse the issue of a permit. Any individual who violates or fails to comply with state legislation, rules, or regulations may be susceptible to civil fines as a result of their actions.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants can acquire applications and information from the Environmental Field Office that is most convenient for them.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TCA Section 68-221-401.414: Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

Obtaining a Septic System Permit

Once you have received approval for your soil evaluation, you can proceed to apply for your septic permit.

Remember to carefully study the soil evaluation provided by our office in order to establish the unique needs for your location. In addition, for any new building development, you will need to secure the following permits:

  • Land use permits from your local township
  • Soil erosion permits from the Drain Commissioner
  • And driveway permits from the Road Commission are all examples of permits that you may need.

Once you have secured these permissions, you will be able to submit an application for a building permit. Further information can be obtained by contacting theLivingston County Building Department (LCBD). The Livingston County Building Department has permitting jurisdiction over the entire county, with the exception of Green Oak Township. If your construction project is located in Green Oak Township, please contact the township’s building department for further information.

How do I apply for my septic system permit?

Having secured these permissions, you will be able to submit an application for your building permit at that time. In order to obtain further information, please contact the Livingston County Building Department (LCBD). To the exclusion of Green Oak Township, the LCBD has permitting jurisdiction over all of Livingston County. Green Oak Township’s building department should be contacted directly if your construction project is in the township.

  1. Application form that has been completed
  2. For new development, documentation of permanent street address (tax bill, township address form, and so on) is required
  3. Package identification number with ten digits (Only for new construction) A verified survey and legal description (only for new construction)
  4. A copy of a detailed story outline
  5. And Fees that are reasonable

As soon as these papers are received, a Sanitarian will analyze them and either grant the permit or call you to seek more information within 3-5 business days. Permits will be mailed or picked up at your discretion after they have been issued. Permits that have been issued will be automatically forwarded to the municipality and the Building Official.

How long are my permits valid?

You have one year from the day that your sewage/well permit is obtained to finish the building of your structure. Following that, the permit must be rewritten, and a price must be charged. If any modifications are made that necessitate a site visit, an extra cost may be charged for the visit. What kind of inspections will be performed by Livingston County Environmental Health throughout the building of my septic system and how often? Your permit will include a schedule of inspections that you must adhere to.

  • All inspections will be completed as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays).
  • The following are examples of typical inspections: Inspection of the Excavation: All drainfields must undergo an excavation examination before they may be used.
  • In this examination, it is determined whether the drainfield’s size and placement are adequate, as well as whether proper soil conditions are present.
  • For the homeowner’s records, the Sanitarian will create an as-built design of the drainfield site, which will be forwarded to them by the Sanitarian.
  • Grading Inspection: Following the completion of the final inspection, it may be necessary to conduct a final grading inspection to determine if the septic tanks and drainfield are properly covered, as well as whether surface water is being channeled away from the installation.
  • Once all of these conditions are met, the completed permit will be forwarded to the appropriate building department for review and approval.

In order to obtain additional information, please contact: Area Sanitarian (based on your Township) Environmental Health Division of the County of Livingston The following are the rules, regulations, and procedures: Livingston County Sanitary Code, Minimum Requirements for Alternative Systems, and Minimum Requirements for Pressure Mounds are all examples of codes that apply in the county.

See also:  How To Repair A Septic Tank Thats Full? (Solved)

Permits, Licenses and Reports

If you pick an accelerated alternative, please tell the office with your selection of options as soon as possible. Fee for application: $150

  • Step 1: Read and completely complete the Onsite Wastewater System Applicationand send it to your local Environmental Affairs Office. Step 2: An original plat or deed of the land will also be required to be submitted. If you do not have a copy of the plat or deed, you may learn more about how to get one by clicking here. The office will contact you as soon as your application has been received to confirm receipt of your application and to discuss electronic payment alternatives with you. We do not take cash as a form of payment. Please see this sample application, Onsite Wastewater System Application, for a reference guide on how to complete the application. Step 2: Your application will be examined to ensure that all required material has been submitted and is in order. If everything is in order, your application fee will be accepted
  • Otherwise, it will be rejected. Step 3:If a site visit is necessary, the inspector will assess the appropriateness of the property for the installation of a septic system. If the inspector finds that your site is suitable for a typical septic system, he or she will give you with a Permit to Construct document. The inspector will discuss possible solutions with you if the permit is not approved by the inspection team. A request for test pits may be made by the Department in circumstances where the evaluator meets a barrier during the first site evaluation or in cases where it is recognized that an area would require test pits owing to the soil characteristics of the region. The midlands and upstate parts of the state are the most typical locations where soil characteristics necessitate the use of test pits. It is important to note that test pits may not be an option in coastal and sandy locations around the state. Consult with your local office staff for more detailed information on your individual situation. As soon as you have received your Permit to Construct, you should call a professional onsite wastewater system contractor to complete the installation of your septic tank. In Step 5, the installer must call DHEC in order to schedule a time for the septic system to be inspected before it is covered, before completing the septic system installation. After waiting 30 minutes over the scheduled time for a DHEC inspector, a licensed installer has the option to conduct a self-inspection of the installation to ensure that everything is in working order. The installation is required to provide documentation to the Department on the DHEC-approved formD-3978, Contractor Approval to Operate

Expires and modifications to permits: Permits to Construct are valid for five years. If you want to renew your permission after five years, or if you want to make modifications to it after it has been authorized, you must submit a new application and pay the price once again. These regulations authorize the charge and permission in the following ways:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-55, Septic Tank Site Evaluation Fees
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems

Because improperly designed septic systems can degrade water quality and cause illness, South Carolina law mandates that all septic systems have site approvals and permits before they can be installed. If you want to construct a home or relocate a prefabricated home on land that is not served by a public or municipal sewer system, you must first seek clearance from the Department of Health and Human Services and a permit to install a septic system. You will be unable to obtain a building permit until you obtain this permit from your local government.

  1. Depending on how saturated the soil is, we may not be able to conduct a thorough examination.
  2. This is analogous to farmers being forced to postpone the planting or harvesting of their crops.
  3. To submit an application for a septic system, you must first download and complete anonsite wastewater application, which you must then submit to your local Environmental Affairs Office.
  4. If you have any questions, please contact the Environmental Affairs Office in your area for assistance.

Application Form

Complete the application for a License to Construct or Clean Onsite Wastewater Systems and Self-Contained Toilets by downloading and completing the form. Please contact your local Department of Health and Human Services Environmental Affairs office to make preparations for testing if you are interested in becoming a septic system installation.

License Fees

The following costs are required for onsite wastewater system installations, pumpers/haulers, and pumpers/haulers are required for yearly renewal:

  • Licensing fees for construction are $100, cleaning fees are $100, and a combined construction and cleaning fee is $150
  • A Master Contractor license is $200.

You must pay these costs on an annual basis in order to keep your license active.

An additional late fee will be levied if we do not receive payment by the due date on your invoice. Unless you pay your renewal costs and late fees within 90 days of the due date for your license to operate on septic systems or truck sewage, your license to do so will automatically expire.

Installer and Master Contractor Exams

In order to be approved to construct work with septic systems and/or wastewater disposal, as well as for a Master Contractor license, you must first pass an exam that assesses your knowledge of Regulation 61-56, which is available online. To pass, you must have an 80 percent or higher score. If you do not pass this test on the first try, you can repeat it within 30 days of failing. If you fail the test a second time, you can repeat it after 60 days if you have not passed the first time. You will not be required to repeat the exam once you have been granted a license, provided that you continue to pay the yearly license renewal costs and submit all required paperwork.

Other License Requirements

  • Inspection of Vehicles: The Department of Health and Human Services has the authority to examine any vehicles used to pump and convey sewage. You must keep your vehicle inventory list up to current and on file with the Department of Health and Human Services
  • List of Disposal Facilities Is Required : This includes a list of sewage disposal facilities that you intend to use, together with documented approval from the facilities themselves. It is necessary to keep a record of your activities: You must keep a log (record) of each pumping and disposal load that is transported by each truck. You must make this record of actions accessible to the Department of Health and Human Services upon request.

The following regulations permit the issuance of septic system contractor licenses:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-56.1, Permit to Construct or Clean Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems and Self-Contained Toilets
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems Licensing of Onsite Wastewater Systems Master Contractors (Regulation 61-56.2)


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF). Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs. Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

Septic Tank Permits – Northeast Health District

We provide a variety of services through our sewage program that contribute to the protection of public health as well as the preservation of Georgia’s natural resources. Among these services are septic tank permits, repair permits, existing system evaluations, site evaluations, and subdivision plan reviews, among other things. Inspections are necessary for septic tank permits as well as for septic tank repairs and replacements. According to the Rules and Regulations for On-Site Sewage Management Systems, an Environmental Health Specialist conducts each inspection in accordance with the results of the previous inspection (Chapter 511-3-1).

Georgia’s groundwater, drinking water, and surface water are protected from hazardous organisms and chemicals thanks to the regulations established by our district to govern the construction and repair of on-site sewage systems.

The State of Georgia’s Division of Public Health has also published two more useful resources: the Homeowner’s Guide to On-Site Sewage Management Systems and Understanding Your Septic System, both of which are available online.

Links to Important Documents Counties from coast to coast Pumpers who are certified in the state of Georgia Georgia Licensed and Certified Installers Soil Classifiers are a type of soil classification system.

In Walton County, the Walton County Service Request Form, the Walton County Environmental Health Site Evaluation Form, the Walton County Subdivision Application, and the Walton County Lot Size Ordinance are all available. The most recent update was made on October 28, 2020.

Onsite Sewage FAQ – Permitting

What is the process for obtaining a building permit for a septic tank system or other onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS)? Septic tank permits are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s local county health department offices, which are located in each county. Please keep in mind that many counties have local rules that may go beyond the standards of the state for OSTDS compliance. What is the procedure for submitting an application for a permit?

Click here to download and complete an Application Form (DH4015, page 1) It is necessary to do a Site Evaluation (DH4015, page 3) in order to establish the circumstances on your land, and it must be done by a trained specialist.

In addition, the total permitting price will be determined by your county health department based on the type of system that is required for your property and the services that you want they execute.

Standards for Septic Tanks Section 381.0065 of the Florida Statutes (F.S.) and Chapter 62-6 of the Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) contain standards for septic tank systems and other OSTDS.

Septic System (Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems, OWTS) Permit Information

The Central Coast Water Board needs a permit for any new or replacement septic system, which may be obtained through your local municipality (City or County) or the Central Coast Water Board. Is there a Local Agency Management Plan in place in your county? Permits from the Central Coast Water Board are necessary for septic systems if any of the following conditions are met:

  • Septic systems that are either new or replacement systems that do not fulfill the standards of Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy
  • New or replacement septic systems in the jurisdiction of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County that do not meet the conditions and requirements of an approved LocalAgency Management Program (currently, Santa Barbara County and Monterey County have approved programs) or Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy are prohibited. Have a predicted flow of more than 3,500 gallons per day and are located outside of the jurisdiction of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County, respectively. It should be noted that the maximum flow permitted under Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy is 3,500 gallons per day. Unless the waste stream comes from a commercial food service establishment, it receives high-strength wastewater. High-concentration wastewater from a commercial food service establishment is sent to the treatment plant. 1. has biochemical oxygen demand exceeding 900 mg/L
  • Or 2. does not have an appropriately sized and functional oil/grease interceptor. Septic systems that accept a substantial volume of waste from RV holding tanks are considered high-risk.

Does a repair need a permit?

A permit from the Central Coast Water Board is not required for the following repairs:

  • Minor repairs (for example, replacement of a distribution box, repair of a damaged pipe connection, or replacement of a septic tank cover)
  • Maintenance and replacement of major components for systems that conform with Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy or with the criteria and requirements of an approved Local Agency management Program (currently Santa Barbara County and Monterey County have approved programs). For example, baffle failure, tank structural integrity failure, or the dispersion system no longer effectively percolating the wastewater are all instances of extensive repairs.

A permit or license from the Central Coast Water Board is necessary for any repairs that do not match the requirements of either of the two bullet points above. Contact the Central Coast Water Board at [email protected] to see whether your repair is eligible for an authorization letter or whether it necessitates the obtaining of a permit. An authorisation letter is completely free of charge.

See also:  When To Empty 10000G Septic Tank? (Perfect answer)

What is the process to apply for a permit?

Applicants for permits should present the following documents:

  • A completed Form 200, which can be found at the following addresses: A Report of Waste Discharge is one of the components of Form 200. For projects that do not comply with the requirements of OWTS Policy Tier 1, please follow the instructions below when completing the Report of Waste Discharge. The cost of an application is determined by the complexity of the system. This cost is updated on an annual basis and may be found on the Water Quality Fees webpage at the following link:. The price for simple systems is 50 percent of the cost of a 3C rated discharge. Choose the Water Quality Amount Schedule link for the most recent fiscal year, search up the fee for a 3C discharge, then divide the fee by two
  • If you have any questions or would like to submit your application, please email [email protected] or call (805) 542-4787. Our email system is capable of handling attachments up to 50 MB in size. We encourage you to contact us if you do not receive a confirmation that we have accepted your submission.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

To be added to our interested parties list and get notifications on septic system permits, fill out our email subscription form and pick “Septic Systems” from the drop-down menu.

On-Site Sewage Management/Septic Tank Permits

Many of our coastal towns are expanding at a rapid pace and in locations where county and city water and sewer infrastructure may not be available. The Department of Environmental Health’s responsibility is to ensure that on-site sewage management systems are implemented appropriately and in the suitable location in order to reduce the risk of health problems associated with untreated human sewage. We evaluate complaints and inspect repairs made to on-site sewage management systems that are not operating correctly.

  1. It is necessary for everyone involved in the building, maintenance, or pumping of on-site sewage management systems to be certified in On-site Sewage Management.
  2. In order to obtain further information, contact your county Environmental Health Office.
  3. Make an appointment with your county Environmental Health Office to submit the Septic App Fillable, together with zoning clearance and a site layout.
  4. You must first inform your local Building Department or Planning and Zoning office if you want to create a subdivision that will use individual septic tanks and/or wells.
  5. For further information, contact the Environmental Health Office in your specific county (see Resources).

Study Aids and Resources Individuals wishing to get certified to build, examine, pump septic tanks, maintain, or repair on-site sewage management systems can use study aids to prepare for the certification exam. More information may be found by clicking HERE.

Be Septic Smart

Homeowners should follow these simple guidelines:

  • Protect It and Inspect It: In general, homeowners should have their system evaluated every three years by a certified expert or according to the guidelines of their state or local health agency. In most cases, tanks should be emptied every three to five years, or when they get clogged. Consider the following when you’re at the sink: It is best not to flush fats, grease, and sediments down the toilet. These compounds have the potential to block the pipes and drainfield of a system. Don’t overburden the toilet bowl: Only flush anything down the toilet or down the drain that belong there. Coffee grounds, dental floss, disposable diapers and wipes, feminine hygiene products, cigarette butts, and cat litter, to name a few items, may all clog and potentially damage sewage systems. Don’t Put Too Much Pressure on Your Drain: Make use of less water and space out your water use. Plumbing leaks should be repaired, and faucet aerators and water-saving items should be installed. To avoid overloading a water system that hasn’t been pumped recently, spread out your laundry and dishwashing loads throughout the day. Ensure Your Drainfield Is Safe: Inform guests that they should not park or drive on a system’s drainfield since the weight of the vehicle might harm or interrupt subsurface flow.

The Environmental Protection Agency’s SepticSmart program teaches households about proper septic system care and maintenance throughout the year. As a bonus, it acts as an online resource for industry practitioners as well as local governments and community organizations, offering access to resources that may be used to educate customers and locals. Visit this website for information on how to properly maintain your septic system.

Licensing & Permits for Sewage Treatment/Septic Systems

Hamilton County Public Health is responsible for the approval of plans, the issuance of permits, and the performance of inspections for all residential sewage treatment systems and small flow onsite sewage treatment systems that are situated within the jurisdiction of the county (all of Hamilton County excluding cities of Cincinnati, Norwood, and Springdale). The Environmental Health Specialists at the Health District are available to assist you whether you have an existing system, need to replace a failing system, want to expand on to your property, or are building a new house or business that will not be linked to a sanitary sewer system.

If you are purchasing a home and want to ensure that the septic system is in perfect functioning order, please see this page for information on Real Estate Transfers.

Select the option that best describes your situation:

Hamilton County Public Health is responsible for the approval of plans, the issuance of permits, and the performance of inspections for all residential sewage treatment systems and small flow onsite sewage treatment systems that are situated within the jurisdiction of the department (all of Hamilton County excluding cities of Cincinnati, Norwood, and Springdale). The Environmental Health Specialists at the Health District are available to assist you whether you have an existing system, need to replace a failing system, intend to expand on to your house, or are building a new home or business that will not be linked to sanitary sewer.

Contractors that wish to become registered as a hauler, installer, or service provider in Hamilton County, Ohio, should visit this website.

Requirements for design of a septic system

Hire a residential sewage treatment system designer who is knowledgeable with the regulations of the State of Ohio as well as any extra requirements imposed by this office, says Hamilton County Public Health (HCPH). This office has compiled a list of designers of domestic sewage treatment systems who have come to their attention.

  • Clearcreek Environmental can be reached at 800-299-4257
  • StreamKey, Inc. can be reached at 513-792-9225
  • Evans Engineering can be reached at 513-321-2168
  • Area Wide SepticService can be reached at 937-453-2656
  • SCS Engineers can be reached at 513-421-5353

My current septic system must be replaced.

In Hamilton County, there are two alternatives for the treatment of domestic wastewater: sewers or household sewage treatment systems (septic systems). Septic systems clean wastewater from your house (dishwasher, showers, toilets, washing machine, sinks, and so on) via soil absorption, aeration, and septic tanks, among other methods of treatment. Hamilton County Public Health inspects septic systems in the county to ensure that they are in proper functioning order and that they are not causing a public health hazard to the public.

It is the responsibility of the Metropolitan Sewage District (MSD) to manage and operate the county’s sanitary sewer system, which handles all wastewater generated within Hamilton County.

Property Owner Requirements

Homes within a specific distance of a sanitary sewage system are required to connect to the system, regardless of whether or not the residence has a fully operating septic system, according to Ohio law and Hamilton County Policies and Standards (PCS). A letter from the Health District outlining the procedures you need to take and the time frame in which you must complete them will be delivered to your home if you are needed to connect to a sanitary sewer system. In the majority of circumstances, these stages are as follows:

  • Obtain a sewage tap permit from the Metropolitan Sewerage District. MSD may be reached at (513) 244-1330. In order to decommission your present domestic sewage treatment system, you must get an abandonment permit. Call the Plumbing Division of the Health District at (513) 946-7854 for further information. Have the sewer system in your house or building immediately linked to the sanitary sewer system that is accessible on your land

Property Owner Costs

The Hamilton County Commissioners pay the building of municipal sewers by levying a “assessment” on the properties that will be served by the sewers. The amount of a construction assessment is determined by the actual building expenses of the sewage system. The following building expenditures will be incurred by the property owner:

  • Local sewer construction assessment
  • Charges for connecting to the sewage system by a plumber
  • Charges for filling and sealing an onsite septic system There is a tap-in cost as well as numerous permission expenses.

Financial Assistance

Homeowners in Hamilton County who are compelled to connect to a sanitary sewer system may be eligible for a financial assistance program. Please see the Financial Aid Fact Sheet to see whether you are eligible for financial assistance.

  • Assessment Assistance– The Hamilton County Board of County Commissioners has made it a policy to encourage the use of public sewers and to assist in the funding of sewage upgrades in the county. Special assessments will be imposed on properties that will reap the benefits of public sewage rehabilitation projects. The Metropolitan Sewer District is responsible for funding the real expenses of the local public sewer project, which total more than $12,000 per benefiting property. Additionally, property owners have the option of paying the assessment (plus finance costs) over a 20-year period if they so want. For further information, please see the website. Awards for Water and Sewer Connection Fees– The Hamilton County Planning and Development Water and Sewer Grant Program gives one-time grants of up to $6,500 to property owners who meet certain income requirements. Residents of Hamilton County, who live outside the city limits of Cincinnati, are the only ones who are qualified. It is only when connecting to public sewers that the loan or grant is applied toward the assessment fees, and not toward the sewer tapping charges. Prior to beginning construction, the homeowner must be authorized for the grant. For further information, please contact us at 513-946-8230.

I am repairing or altering my current sewage treatment system

If your system requires repairs or modifications in order to function correctly again, you may be required to get a permit before you can begin work. To find out more, call the Water Quality team at (513) 946-7863 for additional information about your options. The following are examples of situations in which you will require a septic system modification permit. There may be other scenarios that arise.

  • Replacing a section of pipe in your system that is 20 feet or longer
  • Any tank in your system that has to be replaced
  • Relocating a component of your system’s infrastructure
  • Changing the location of a discharge line

Additional Resources

  • A Homeowner’s Guide to Septic Systems
  • Septic System Additions
  • Application to Construct or Replace a Household Sewage Treatment System
  • And Septic System Maintenance. The application for a sewage treatment system (also known as a gray water recycling system) and a permit to install or modify the system
  • A request for an STS or GWRS review of a proposed property improvement or modification
  • A Fact Sheet is a document that contains information on a topic. How Property Owners Can Document Sewage Treatment System Operation, Monitoring, and Maintenance in the Absence of a Health Department Inspection
  • Find an STS Service Provider or a Hauler in your area. Septic System Replacement and Sewer Connections are eligible for financial assistance. Hamilton County Policies and Standards pertaining to OAC 3701-29
  • The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency’s Semi-Public Sewage Treatment System Inspection Program
  • And more. The STS and GWRS have established Operation and Maintenance Program Standards. Inquire about an inspection
  • Resources for Septic Smart Homeowners from the Environmental Protection Agency
  • Plan for the management of the sewer treatment system (STS)
  • Change Request from OAC 3701-29
  • Water Quality PWS Fee Schedule
  • Water Quality STS Fee Schedule
  • Variance Request from OAC 3701-29

Septic System Program – AppHealthCare

Detailed information on the services provided by our department, as well as the application procedure necessary for each, may be found on the instruction sheets that are included with the application. There is a distinct permission procedure for each sort of construction project, whether it is a new construction, an extension, a reuse project, or a repair project. Please read the application instructions completely, and if you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact the health department.

New Construction

For any new septic system construction, make sure to follow the instructions in the application packet. This booklet outlines all of the processes needed in submitting an application for a new septic system. Before submitting an application, it is critical that all of the processes have been thoroughly thought out and accomplished. This will substantially aid in the expediting of the procedure.

Expansion of an Existing System

When making improvements to a facility, such as adding a bedroom to a house or expanding the number of employees in a business, the design capacity of the septic system is often the limiting issue. For example, if the original septic system was intended to handle a three-bedroom house and the owners desire to add a fourth bedroom, an extension of the current septic system will be necessary to meet the additional bedrooms. The application procedure for an expansion is quite similar to the application process for a new building project in most respects.

See also:  How To Tell If The Baffle Is Clogged On Your Septic Tank? (Solved)

It will be easier to locate each of them if the original licenses granted by this agency are retained, as would any descriptions of soil conditions on the land.

When planning an extension of any facility, our office recommended that a copy of the Operation Permit be obtained so that the septic system may be taken into consideration during the design stage.

Although it is not always essential, it may be important for this department to inspect the site before any holes are dug on the property in order to prevent the current septic system from being disrupted.

Reuse of Existing Systems

Recycling an existing system, such as replacing an old mobile house with a new mobile home, is an example of system repurposing.

  • Our department should be able to assist you in locating the original permit. In order to do so, the applicant must determine the year the system was established as well as the name under which the septic system was installed. However, in other situations, the permit number will suffice
  • However, the applicant must first identify the size and location of the new construction that will be linked to the existing septic system
  • And then apply for the permission. The location of the planned construction on the site must be marked with stakes
  • The septic tank must be identified, exposed, and drained out. This will allow our staff to check the tank’s condition and make any necessary improvements if they determine that they are necessary. As soon as the tank has been drained out, it is best to arrange an examination of the septic tank and drain field to ensure that there are no problems. This is done in order to avoid having to pump out the tank more than once.

Repairing a Failing System

In most cases, a malfunctioning septic system is not something that most people want to deal with for an extended period of time. Slow drains from the toilet, shower, or sink located in the part of the dwelling closest to the septic tank may be the first signs of a problem. In most cases, this symptom arises during periods of heavy water use and might be resolved by having the septic tank drained out and the effluent filter thoroughly cleaned. If this occurs, the first thing our department will propose is that the tank be pumped completely.

  • In reality, all tanks should be emptied every three to five years, depending on their age.
  • If this is the case, it is likely that the problem may be resolved quickly; for example, by repairing a leaking shower or toilet or by adjusting the distribution box.
  • There are a variety of reasons for a system to fail, and discovering which one is the cause might take considerable time and effort.
  • Permits are required for any work performed on an on-site septic system, even if the system is in poor working order.
  • It is possible that some work will be required in order to locate historical permits and property lines.

Septic Permits and Records – Panhandle Health District

It is the responsibility of the Panhandle Health District to guarantee that sewage disposal systems for residential and commercial premises that are not connected to public or municipal sewer systems are properly maintained. A permit is needed for all subterranean sewage disposal systems in Idaho, including septic tanks. PHD is responsible for issuing septic permits in the five northern counties. The permits detail the site-specific conditions and regulations that must be met in order for an individual subsurface sewage disposal system to be installed.

Central/Large Soil Absorption System Review

  • Prior to accepting fees, the Panhandle Health District will conduct a test to determine wastewater flow. Prior to the issuing of the permit, the parcels to be serviced will be identified, and any necessary easements will be put in place. If the installation is for residential use, tank permits for each prospective home will be required before to hookup.

Repair Permit

Keeping Your Septic System in Good Working Order. It saves you money, maintains the value of your home, keeps you and your neighbors healthy, and helps to protect the environment! Here are some suggestions to assist you in keeping your septic system in good working order:

Subsurface Sewage Permit – New

  • A permit is necessary for the installation of new systems or the relocation of existing systems. A assessment of the soil types at the intended location for the actual septic system is conducted. It is necessary to establish the size of the drainfield and septic tank. Approval of the permit is contingent on the following factors: house size and location
  • Well / spring location
  • Surface water locations
  • Depth to groundwater on limiting layers
  • Changes to native soil (road cuts, grading, benching)
  • Distance to neighboring structures (wells, buildings, drainfields)
  • Proposed land use
  • Soil type
  • And other issues of concern are all taken into consideration. Until all of these concerns have been resolved and/or presented in writing as part of the plot plan / permit application, and the plan has been judged to be in compliance with current requirements, permits to install a septic system will not be given. Permit applications are valid for one year after they are submitted. Permits for septic systems are valid for one (1) year from the date of issue. If fieldwork is completed but the permission application is denied, there will be no partial refund.

Permit Renewal

(Application for renewal must be submitted before to the expiration date.)

  • 1 year renewal (allows you to keep your permit for an extra year after it was first issued)
  • The renewal of a fifth septic permit will necessitate the submission of a new application together with the renewal cost. In order to ensure that current requirements are being fulfilled, the site and existing system will be assessed. A new septic permit will only be given if the installation complies with all current regulations.

Individual System Permit-Expansion

  • For projects involving a significant increase in flow that necessitates the expansion of the current drainfield by more than ten percent

Repair Permit

State Regulations for Off-Site Wastewater Systems: Approval of Innovative Wastewater Treatment Systems Find out where your Septic Permit Application for a Septic System and Well is at any time. This application is now available as a fillable PDF on the internet. septic tank systems are underground wastewater systems that comprise of a settling tank and a drain field. On-site wastewater is defined as wastewater generated on the premises. This system’s primary function is to confine solid waste and sterilize the wastewater produced by a house, company, or other facility, among other things.

These are some examples:

  • Determining whether or not a property is appropriate for a septic system by evaluating its physical characteristics
  • Depending on the results of the lot examination, a permit may be granted or denied. When septic systems are established, they must be thoroughly inspected to guarantee appropriate installation. Taking criticisms from the public into consideration
  • And Septic systems that are not operating properly are evaluated and a suitable strategy to fix the system is determined. Inspection and maintenance of big septic systems, including septic systems with pumps, to verify that they are operating properly

The Septic System Permitting Process

  1. When an Application for Service is presented with a document from the proper planning and zoning authority, the application is accepted. When applying for a septic tank permit or permits for multiple septic tanks, a site plan of the land is necessary. The site plan is a design that depicts the shape and size of the land, as well as the state road number, as well as the driveway and home (or other buildings) that are located on the premises. In order to determine the position of the structure, the site plan must include setbacks (or distances) from the highway right-of-way and at least one additional property line in addition to the right-of-way. If you require assistance, a schematic from GIS will be printed for you. Fees are evaluated and determined based on the services that are sought. See the current pricing schedule for further information. The application is allocated to an Environmental Health Specialist when the costs have been paid
  2. The Environmental Health Specialist will call the applicant to organize an appointment for the evaluation. In the event of an emergency, the applicant should call the Environmental Health Specialist immediately for assistance. They are available at the office between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., Monday through Friday
  3. Before the Department examines the property, the applicant should rough-stake the area that needs to be examined as well as the placement of the building (house, mobile home, business, etc.). After the property has been analyzed, the Department will notify the applicant of the results. If the land is acceptable for the proposed purpose, it must be surveyed and a plat submitted for final review, together with the accompanying plat fee, before the project can be completed. It is necessary to file a permit if there is no need for a survey
  4. The permission can be released upon receipt of the relevant zoning permit and any additional payments. Once an applicant has obtained a valid zoning permission as well as an Environmental Health permit, he or she may submit an application for building permits to the Building Inspections department.

Items Needed to Process A Water and Sewer Authorization

  • Installation of a septic tank and completion of an inspection have been completed. The well has been constructed and the inspection has been finished. A well log that has been prepared by the well contractor must be kept on file in the office. a negative bacteriological water test is necessary prior to approval of the well
  • The well log is located in the left-bottom corner on the well permit
  • Providing an electricity supply and arranging a water test are both the applicant’s duty in order for the water sample to be collected. The test can be performed either by the Environmental Health Specialist who has been assigned to you or by a private laboratory. If the test is conducted by an Environmental Health Specialist, the findings will be available in about one week after the test is completed. The sample must be collected by a trained lab technician who works for the private facility where the test is being performed if you hire one. It is just for informational purposes that we are collecting the nitrate, nitrite, and inorganic water samples
  • Nonetheless, they are needed by the State of North Carolina.

It has been finished the installation of a septic tank and the examination of it It has been determined that the well has been erected and inspected; The well contractor’s completed well log must be kept on file in the office. a negative bacteriological water test is necessary prior to approval of the well; the well log is located in the left-bottom corner of the well permit; and Providing an electricity supply and arranging a water test are both the applicant’s duty in order for the water sample to be collected.

The Environmental Health Specialist will be able to provide results in roughly one week if the test is done by him or her.

It is primarily for informational purposes that we are collecting the nitrate, nitrite, and inorganic water samples; nonetheless, this is mandated by the State of North Carolina.


Specifically, according to 15A NCAC 18A.1938 (c), the person who owns or controls the system is responsible for assuring compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and permit conditions pertaining to the system’s location and installation as well as its operation, maintenance, monitoring, reporting, and repair. If you are experiencing problems with your septic system, please call us and we will happily analyze the situation to see whether a repair permit is required and create a solution that is acceptable for your situation.

Please see the Why Septic Systems Faildocument for further information about failed septic systems.

Pump Inspections

Every five years, Johnston County Environmental Health is mandated by the State of North Carolina (15A NCAC 18A.1961 j) to examine all septic systems that use an effluent pump and to report the results to the public. Prior to the inspection, a letter is mailed to the homeowner, who can then contact to schedule an appointment with the inspector.

Following the completion of the inspection, the inspector will complete an inspection report, which will be forwarded to the property owner. Take a look at the Pump diagram.

Important Links

  • Soil Consultants who work for themselves
  • Septic System Installers who work for themselves
  • Septage Pumper List
  • Septic System Owner’s Guide
  • Private Soil Consultants who work for themselves. Instructions on How to Dismantle a Septic System
  • Septic System Maintenance
  • Pump Diagram
  • Septic System Maintenance
  • ‘Soil Facts’: The Reasons Why Septic Systems Fail What not to flush down the toilet or put in your sink (if you have a septic tank)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *