What Is A Plat Approval Septic Tank? (Correct answer)

  • Plat Approval (PDF) Septage Removal Permit Application (PDF) This permit for septic haulers. Septic Tank Application Requirements (PDF) Septic Tank Permit Application (PDF) This permit is for residential, commercial, repair, and modification applications.

Do all septic tanks need to be registered?

Until recently, it was necessary for all septic tanks to be registered. A septic tank discharges water into the ground, and the quantity of such is important so as to avoid damage to the environment. If your septic tank discharges two cubic metres or less above ground, then you don’t need to register it.

What are the new regulations for septic tanks?

Under the new rules, if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water (river, stream, ditch, etc.) you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

How far from a property should a septic tank be?

Most importantly, a septic tank must be at least seven metres from a house, defined as a ‘habitable property’. Septic tanks are built underground and release wastewater slowly into the surrounding environment. For this reason, they must be a set distance away from a home.

Can I install my own septic system in North Carolina?

QUESTION: Is a homeowner allowed to install his or her own system? ANSWER: A homeowner may install the system for a property that will used as his or her primary residence as long as the system is gravity fed, pipe and gravel system and is limited to two systems within a five year period.

Does a septic tank need a Permit?

Most small sewage treatment systems and septic tanks will be eligible for an exemption from Permit, but this does depend upon various factors (for example, if your property is close to a nature conservation area the Environment Agency may require that you obtain a permit) details of which can be obtained from the

Do I need consent to discharge septic tank?

You will require a ‘Permit to Discharge’, however you may qualify for an exempt status if your system meets certain requirements such as amount of discharge, septic tank or sewage treatment plant model (only EN 12566-3 2005 Certified plants accepted), plant location, intended discharge point, installation and

How do I find out if my septic tank is registered?

Check if your septic tank is already registered You can check if your tank has already been registered by contacting your environmental regulator. If you are unsure then it is best to check and avoid making an unnecessary payment. The NIEA and SEPA have records of all registered septic tanks.

Does heavy rain affect septic tank?

It is common to have a septic back up after or even during a heavy rain. Significant rainfall can quickly flood the ground around the soil absorption area (drainfield) leaving it saturated, making it impossible for water to flow out of your septic system.

Can you have a septic tank without a leach field?

The waste from most septic tanks flows to a soakaway system or a drainage field. If your septic tank doesn’t have a drainage field or soakaway system, the waste water will instead flow through a sealed pipe and empty straight into a ditch or a local water course.

How far does a treatment plant need to be from a house?

At least 10 meters away from any habitable building.

How far can you pump septic?

Sewage ejector pumps are designed to pump raw sewage from your home into a septic tank or gravity flow sewer main. For this reason, they can only pump to distances under 750 feet. However, a benefit of sewage ejector pumps is that they are built to move up to 200 gallons per minute of raw sewage.

What license do I need to install septic system in NC?

All septic system contractors must certified by the North Carolina On-Site Wastewater Contractor and Inspectors Certification Board.

Does NC require septic inspection?

Septic system installers and inspectors MUST now be certified by the North Carolina On-site Wastewater Contractors and Inspectors Certification Board (NCOWCICB) in order to install or inspect septic systems in NC. The legislation does NOT require a septic system inspection as part of a real estate transaction.

How far does a septic tank have to be from a house in NC?

Maintain 15 feet between septic tanks and basements, embankments, drainage system side-slopes, and swimming pools. Septic tanks also must be at least 10 feet away from property lines, water lines, and the up-slope portion of drainage systems.

Septic Permits & Subdivision Review

RiverStone Health is responsible for reviewing subdivision plat and certificate of survey requests. Parcels less than 20 acres in size are subject to the assessment and approval procedure of the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), which is a state agency. Parcels with a total area of 20 acres or more are subject to a local evaluation process. The charge for reviewing a submission is determined on the complexity of the submission, which includes the type of water and sewer infrastructure that is required.

Forms and checklists for the Department of Environmental Quality’s Subdivision Review Program (for parcels less than 20 acres) Forms and checklists for reviewing local subdivisions (for parcels 20 acres or more)

  • Checklist for Sanitary Approval
  • Fees for Local Review
  • Example of a Lot Layout

Septic/Onsite Wastewater Systems

What you need to know about obtaining a septic permit Step 1: Confirm that the property has been approved for a septic system through the Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) or a municipal review procedure before moving forward with the project. In order to track your permits, you must first obtain a Permit Tracking Sheet from the Yellowstone County Courthouse, Room 305. The Permit Tracking Sheet will confirm that an address has been allocated, that an approach permit has been issued, and that the property is not located inside a floodplain by checking the information on the sheet.

The number of bedrooms should be specified for residential buildings.

Step 4: RiverStone Health will contact the applicant to inform him or her of the approval and installation specifics.

To schedule an inspection, call RiverStone Health Environmental Health Services at 406.256.2770 as soon as the installation is completed.

Rules and Regulations for Septic Systems

  • Standards for Subsurface Wastewater Treatment Systems in Montana
  • Rules and Regulations for On-Site Wastewater Treatment Systems in Yellowstone County
  • Montana Standards for Subsurface Wastewater Treatment Systems

Resources for Homeowners

  • Homeowners Guide to Septic Systems
  • A list of installers that are licensed in Yellowstone County
  • And more.


58.17.010 Purpose.
58.17.020 Definitions.
58.17.030 Subdivisions to comply with chapter, local regulations.
58.17.033 Proposed division of land — Consideration of application for preliminary plat or short plat approval — Requirements defined by local ordinance.
58.17.035 Alternative method of land division — Binding site plans.
58.17.040 Chapter inapplicable, when.
58.17.050 Assessors plat — Compliance.
58.17.060 Short plats and short subdivisions — Summary approval — Regulations — Requirements.
58.17.065 Short plats and short subdivisions — Filing.
58.17.070 Preliminary plat of subdivisions and dedications — Submission for approval — Procedure.
58.17.080 Filing of preliminary plat — Notice.
58.17.090 Notice of public hearing.
58.17.092 Public notice — Identification of affected property.
58.17.095 Ordinance may authorize administrative review of preliminary plat without public hearing.
58.17.100 Review of preliminary plats by planning commission or agency — Recommendation — Change by legislative body — Procedure — Approval.
58.17.110 Approval or disapproval of subdivision and dedication — Factors to be considered — Conditions for approval — Finding — Release from damages.
58.17.120 Disapproval due to flood, inundation or swamp conditions — Improvements — Approval conditions.
58.17.130 Bond in lieu of actual construction of improvements prior to approval of final plat — Bond or security to assure successful operation of improvements.
58.17.140 Time limitation for approval or disapproval of plats — Extensions.
58.17.150 Recommendations of certain agencies to accompany plats submitted for final approval.
58.17.155 Short subdivision adjacent to state highway — Notice to department of transportation.
58.17.160 Requirements for each plat or replat filed for record.
58.17.165 Certificate giving description and statement of owners must accompany final plat — Dedication, certificate requirements if plat contains — Waiver.
58.17.170 Written approval of subdivision — Original of final plat to be filed — Copies — Periods of validity, governance.
58.17.180 Review of decision.
58.17.190 Approval of plat required before filing — Procedure when unapproved plat filed.
58.17.195 Approval of plat or short plat — Written finding of conformity with applicable land use controls.
58.17.200 Injunctive action to restrain subdivision, sale, transfer of land where final plat not filed.
58.17.205 Agreements to transfer land conditioned on final plat approval — Authorized.
58.17.210 Building, septic tank or other development permits not to be issued for land divided in violation of chapter or regulations — Exceptions — Damages — Rescission by purchaser.
58.17.212 Vacation of subdivision — Procedure.
58.17.215 Alteration of subdivision — Procedure.
58.17.217 Alteration or vacation of subdivision — Conduct of hearing.
58.17.218 Alteration of subdivision — Easements by dedication.
58.17.220 Violation of court order or injunction — Penalty.
58.17.225 Easement over public open space — May be exempt from RCW58.17.215— Hearing — Notice.
58.17.230 Assurance of discontinuance of violations.
58.17.240 Permanent control monuments.
58.17.250 Survey of subdivision and preparation of plat.
58.17.255 Survey discrepancy — Disclosure.
58.17.260 Joint committee — Members — Recommendations for surveys, monumentation and plat drawings.
58.17.275 Proposals to adopt, amend, or repeal local ordinances — Advance notice.
58.17.280 Naming and numbering of short subdivisions, subdivisions, streets, lots and blocks.
58.17.290 Copy of plat as evidence.
58.17.300 Violations — Penalties.
58.17.310 Application for approval of plat within irrigation district — Approval without provision for irrigation prohibited.
58.17.320 Compliance with chapter and local regulations — Enforcement.
58.17.330 Hearing examiner system — Adoption authorized — Procedures — Decisions.
58.17.900 Validation of existing ordinances and resolutions.
58.17.920 Effective date and application of 1974 ex.s. c 134.
See also:  How Clise To My Lot Lune Can I Install A Septic Tank? (Solution)


There are no requirements for actions associated with the purchase or sale of property with septic systems, according to the Virginia Department of Health. However, when it comes to real estate transactions involving homes with septic systems, inquiries from buyers, sellers, and lenders are frequently raised by all parties involved. To begin, it is important for everyone involved to understand how septic systems function as well as what the property owner’s duties are when it comes to septic systems.

More information on the obligations of the property owner may be found HERE.

On request, you may obtain septic system records from your local health department by contacting them.

The design capacity is expressed in gallons per day, and it is an important consideration to consider when purchasing a home or building.

Residences are developed using a peak design flow of 150 gallons per day per bedroom as the basis for their design.) The use of the system at a rate greater than the peak design flow may result in the system failing prematurely.) It is possible to find out if the system has been fixed or updated in the past by receiving copies of the permits on file.

  1. When acquiring commercial property, the waste strength is an extremely significant issue to consider since the waste strength for the anticipated use may be more or lower than the waste strength that the system was built to manage, depending on the situation.
  2. EXAMPLES: Construction Permit for On-Site Construction Onsite Construction Permit (2) Older Construction Permit (Example) Permits from the past should be examined.
  3. The inspector will make a note of any modifications made to the original design, as well as the types of particular building materials utilized (for example, Sch 40 PVC for the conveyance line), as well as any faults discovered and the steps taken to repair such shortcomings.
  4. Among the information contained on the operating permit is the system’s permissible capacity (for example, 450 gallons per day for a three-bedroom home), as well as any ongoing operational needs (e.g.
  5. As an illustration, consider the following: AS-BUILT DRAWINGS “Drawings of the structure as it will be built It depicts the placement of critical system components as they were originally put on the as-built design.
  6. The as-built will help you to locate the component in a short period of time.

Example Manuals of operation and maintenanceReports on the operation and maintenance of equipment “Consider the purchase of a vehicle: > OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE MANUALREPORTSThink about it: When you acquire the vehicle, you should obtain the operator’s handbook so that you will be aware of when the manufacturer suggests that maintenance be conducted on important components.

  1. When you purchase a system, you should get and examine a copy of the system’s manual so that you can determine when and what sort of maintenance the manufacturer suggests.
  2. The same may be said for septic systems as well.
  3. Traditional onsite sewage systems located inside the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Area are actually required to have pump outs performed on a regular basis.
  4. You may find out more about those criteria by visiting this page.
  5. ACTION RECORDS FROM THE ENFORCEMENT “> ACTION RECORDS FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT Also ensure sure there aren’t any outstanding enforcement actions against the property related to the septic system, such as a Notice of Violation asking the property owner to replace a failing system, on the books.
  6. Among the most important documents are those for alternative onsite sewage systems, which include conditional permits, waivers, easements, and notices of recordingation.
See also:  How To Change From Septic Tank To Sewer?

The issuance of conditional construction permits authorizes the installation of systems that do not fully comply with certain parts of the Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations, provided that conditions are placed on the permit to ensure the system will function without putting the public’s health in jeopardy.

  • It is essential to understand these criteria and limits before to acquiring a property in order to verify that they are compatible with the usage of the property for which you want to use it.
  • Waivers given under Virginia Code Section 32.1-164.1:1 to repair a failing system are not transferable (with a few exceptions) and become null and invalid upon the transfer or sale of the property in which they were granted.
  • A bill passed by the Virginia General Assembly in 2011 that altered Va.
  • Code Section 32.1-164.1:3 to allow for the voluntary upgrade of onsite sewage systems and alternate discharge sewage systems passed by the state legislature.

Code Section 32.1-164.1:1 has been amended to allow system owners who voluntarily upgrade their system to request a waiver from requirements for treatment levels greater than those provided by the existing system, or requirements for pressure dosing, in a manner similar to the waivers granted to system owners who repair failing systems.

  • The waiver listed on the deed of the property you are interested in purchasing must be for a repair or a voluntary upgrade.
  • Easements An easement in perpetuity is required to be recorded under Section 700.E.2 of the Sewage Handling and Disposal Regulations when all or part of an on-site sewage system is scheduled to be constructed on land other than the owners’ property, as defined in the regulations.
  • It is possible that the system predates the necessity for recording, or that the property owner possessed both properties at the same time, in which case an easement is not necessary.
  • Preliminary Notice of Recordation Owners of alternative onsite sewage systems are obliged to record a letter with the deed of their property advising future owners that their property is served by a backup system prior to receiving an operation permit for the system.
  • INSPECTIONS OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY “> INSPECTIONS OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY Inspection PurposeVDH does not mandate that onsite sewage systems be examined prior to the transfer of ownership of a property.
  • While it is not mandatory to have the system examined, VDH suggests that you do so in order to ascertain if the system is in good operating condition and to prevent future problems.

If the inspection reveals significant flaws in the system, the owner may be required to do the following: hire a private sector consultant to design a system repair; obtain a construction permit from VDH to repair the system; have a licensed service provider install the repairs; have the system inspected by the designer; and submit all necessary paperwork to VDH in order to receive a new operations permit from the agency.

  1. This process can take several weeks to complete, which can cause a delay in the closing process if the inspection is performed late in the process of transferring ownership.
  2. The type of inspection that is performed is determined by a number of factors, including the age of the system, the type of system, and so on.
  3. It is also possible that your service provider will perform a loading test by injecting a predetermined volume of water into the system to check for signs of a blockage or malfunction.
  4. In the case of alternative systems, the owner is required to have the system inspected at least once a year by a licensed operator.
  5. What should you do if your system does not pass inspection?

However, for more significant repairs, the owner will be required to have the repair designed by a licensed designer and obtain a construction permit from your local health department before the repair can be completed.


156.22 percent of the total PLANNING APPROVAL AT THE PREMIER LEVEL. Following an informal consultation with the Planning Commission, the subdivider should order the preparation of a preliminary plat before any roadway improvements or utility installations are carried out. (A) Preliminary information on the plat. The preliminary plat data should be designed in accordance with the requirements established by the legislation, and it should include the following information to the extent possible: A scale of 200 feet to one inch or bigger is required.

(3)The date, an approximate north point, and a graphic scale are also required.

Any semi-public, commercial or multifamily facilities that may be available; Minimum building setback lines should be included in the preliminary plat, as well as copies of any proposed deed restrictions, if any, that are included in the preliminary plat.

(2)Not less than five days before the date set for the hearing, the Secretary of the Planning Commission should notify the subdivider of the time and location of the hearing.

Third, the Commission shall distribute and review copies of the preliminary plat to all interested city and county agencies, including, but not limited to, the county health officer, the soil conservation service, the water and sewer agencies, electric and gas utility companies, the State Highway District Office, and city and county engineers, as well as other interested parties.

  1. The subdivider will provide the Planning Commission with written clearance from the State Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection in the case that an individual (package plant) sewage disposal system is envisaged.
  2. If the Planning Commission does not take action on this preliminary plat within 90 days, it should be presumed that the plat has been approved.
  3. If an approval is granted subject to adjustments, the nature of the modifications that must be made should be specified.
  4. (5) It is recommended that one copy be returned to the subdivider and the second copy be kept by the Planning Commission.
  5. (6) (7)The approval of the preliminary plat should lapse unless a final plat should final plat based on the preliminary plat is filed within one year of the date of the approval of the preliminary plat.

The Planning Commission may provide an extension of time if a request is made and approved by the commission. (Ord. 900.1-A, approved on the 3rd of August, 1982)

Where’s my septic tank?

156.22 percent of the population PLANNING APPROVAL AT THE PREliminary Stage Prior to constructing any roadway improvements or installing any utilities, the subdivider should request that a preliminary plat be developed following an informal consultation with the Planning Commission. First and foremost, the preliminary plat data is provided. According to the rules, preliminary plat data should be designed to fulfill the requirements of design and should include the following information, to the extent that it is possible: A scale of 200 feet to one inch or bigger is required.

  • (3)The date, an estimated north point, and a graphic scale are also required.
  • Minimum building setback lines should be included in the preliminary plat, as well as copies of any proposed deed restrictions that may be included.
  • (2)Not less than five days before the date set for the hearing, the Secretary of the Planning Commission should notify the subdivider of the time and location of the meeting.
  • 3.
  • 4.
  • A formal clearance from the State Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection will be provided to the Planning Commission in the case that an individual (package plant) sewage disposal system is planned by the subdivider.
  • This preliminary plat should be declared approved if the Planning Commission fails to act on it within 90 days of receiving it.
  • A detailed description of the necessary adjustments should be provided if an approval is conditional on alterations.
  • It is recommended that one copy be returned to the subdivider and the other be kept by the Planning Commission.
  • • If a final plat based on the preliminary plat is not filed within one year of the date of the preliminary plat’s approval, the preliminary plat’s approval should expire.

The Planning Commission may provide an extension of time if a request is made and approved. On March 8, 1982, Order 900.1-A (Order 900.1-A) was passed.

  • Your local DHEC office may have a copy of your building permit on file if your house was built within the last five years or fewer, according to the DHEC. A copy of a septic tank permit can be obtained from the local office by any individual or group, regardless of whether or not they own the land in question. Because of this, it is highly recommended that you have as much of the following information as possible ready at the time of your request.
  • Your local DHEC office may have a copy of your building permit on file if your home was constructed within the last five years or less, according to the DHEC. A copy of a septic tank permit can be obtained from the local office by any individual or group, regardless of whether they own the land. If you have as much of the following information as possible ready at the time of your request, the search process will go much more quickly:
  • You may also submit a request for a copy of the permission through our Freedom of Information office, although this is not mandatory. To obtain a copy through the Freedom of Information Office, please complete and submit a copy of the DHEC FOI form. Instructions are given with the application. If feasible, please include the information about the property that is stated above. When looking around your yard, search for manhole covers or lids that have been buried by grass or leaves if your house was constructed before 1990.
See also:  How To Make A New Inlet Hole In A Septic Tank? (Solution)


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Septic & Land Development

When developing land, it is critical for the developer, engineer, or homeowner to schedule a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in detail. SWDH requires that you attend this pre-development meeting before proceeding with the formal application process. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category. Contact208-455-5400. After the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (IDEQ) or a Qualified Licensed Professional Engineer (QLPE) has conducted the necessary reviews of the specifications, the SWDH works in collaboration with the IDEQ to release sanitary restrictions on platted subdivisions that are served by city water and city sewer.

  1. for subdivisions including municipal water and city sewage services.
  2. The SER can be downloaded from our Document Repositoryunder Land Development.
  3. Additionally, depending on the location of the subdivision, the size of the lots, and the density of residences, the SWDH may require a Nutrient Pathogen Study to be completed.
  4. When developing property, it is critical for the developer/engineer to organize a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in more detail.
  5. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category.


Service Description Charges
Subdivision Engineering Report Application Fee $250.00
Cost Per Developable Lot $300.00
Subdivision Application – City Services (Requires DEQ Approval) $150.00
Central/LSAS $1,000 + $100 per 250 gpd
Pre-development site evaluation for commercial or engineered lots (includes multiple test holes and evaluation results) $850.00
Pre Development Meeting (Fee to apply toward SER application if within 12-months of pre-development meeting) $100.00

In order to obtain further information, you may call the SWDH headquarters at 208-455-5400.

Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

The Southwest District Health (SWDH) Environmental Health Services division, in collaboration with the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality, controls underground sewage disposal systems (IDEQ). If the developer or homeowner has any questions about the application or permitting process for a subsurface sewage disposal system, they should contact SWDH at (208) 455-5400. This is especially important because a subsurface sewage permit is usually required before a county building permit can be obtained.

Process/ How to Apply

SWDH must perform an on-site examination prior to issuing a permit for underground sewage disposal before the permit may be issued. The applicant must make arrangements for a backhoe to be brought in to dig a ten (10) foot test hole at the time of the examination.

When submitting an application, SWDH requires a legal description, zoning certificate, tax assessment notice, or property profile, among other things. It is possible to obtain your legal description by contacting the county or by consulting a tax notice.

How to Apply

Download the Subsurface Sewage Disposal Application (PDF) from our Document Repository, which may be found under Septic Systems. Please also include an 8″ x 10″ copy of the home floor plans, verifying the amount of bedrooms, if the house is being built from scratch.

Accessory Use

Accessory Use permissions from the county may be necessary before a building permit may be issued for the construction of an addition, shop, or other structure on a piece of property in certain circumstances. The proposed plan will be evaluated by an Environmental Health Specialist at the time of the Accessory Use Application to see if it will necessitate a modification to the existing subsurface sewage disposal system. The Accessory Use Approval Application and Plot Plan (both in PDF format) may be found in our Document Repositoryunder Septic Systems and can be downloaded.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *